When it came down to selecting the topic for my research project, I found that focusing on the experience of Scottish immigrants was an easy choice. My reasoning was simply due to my heritage. My maternal grandparents were both born to Scottish immigrants in 1920’s Alberta, and later relocated to Vancouver. Although my great grandparents didn’t immigrate to Canada until after Confederation, I was determined to find out what the journey across the Atlantic might have been like for the immigrants before them. I also wanted to find out why so many families made their way from the Scottish Highlands, as opposed to the Lowlands, during the early years of immigration. After spending a semester researching Scottish settlements in Canada, I was finally able to complete my report on Scots in Pre-Confederation Canada. Within the report, I was able to discuss the Act of Union 1707, the Highland Clearances, and the many attempts at settling Scots in Eastern Canada, primarily in modern day Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.